We are on to the Book of Ecclesiastes now. This is the other book in the Bible that is part of the 'wisdom literature' generally attributed to Solomon. The title of the book Ecclesiastes is translated from the Jewish 'Qoheleth' meaning gathering/church(?). Not sure why, but may represent its function as a public reading on festival occasions when people are gathered together. The contents though quite sombre and 'cynical' may be intended to remind the congregants of the futility of the physical life, and of the true meaning of life as servants of God.
It begins with the proclamation :
"The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem: 2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher."
and ends with:
13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole [duty] of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
Whether it is truly written by Solomon or someone else continues to be debated. Superficially it is attributed to the 'son of David', but commentators point out that nowhere does this refer to Solomon, and no where else is Solomon ever refered to as 'son of David'. You can read some of the discussions here.
Some have pointed to the apparent messianic content, i.e. the reference to the 'King in Jerusalem' rather than the usual 'King of Israel'. And the reference in 12:11 to the one Shepherd:
11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails-- given by one Shepherd.
1:13 I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 15 What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted. 16 I thought to myself, "Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge." 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. 18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment