Welcome!! This is a simple blogsite to support our personal "Read the Bible in a Year" programme. This is based on the Read the Bible in a Year online programme : http://www.bibleinayear.org/.
If you wish to participate, just create an account there and just start reading. We are on the Chronological mode.

Please feel free to browse, and leave your comments and questions.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Deuteronomy 28-29

Final words of blessing and curses, and reminders of God's covenant.

29:29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it hard to appreciate/understand the curses for disobedience mentioned in 29 - which includes cannibalism..eek!I know the curses are consequences for disobeying God. But, what I find hard to 'swallow' are these statements .."the Lord will send...the Lord will cause you.. the Lord will drive you... the Lord will bring a nation...the Lord will scatter ..." and these curses are really terrible. There is no mention of Satan as the executor of these curses - but the Lord himself. I thought no evil could come from the Lord - but diseases, war, plagues, sufferings, despair - sounds pretty bad to me. I can accept them better if the statements were.. God allowed these things to happen, but seems like God causes them to happen rather .. how do you reconcile that?

Unknown said...

Any idea what happened at Admah and Zeboiim (29:23)?

Unknown said...

hhmmmm...yeah....but it seems in my mind there's not much difference between causing to happen and allowing to happen. I mean if you allow an 'accident' to happen, isn't that about the same as causing it? Likewise, if you allow a natural disaster or war to devastate the community so as to achieve your specific mission, when it is in your power to avert it, aren't you as responsible as causing it?